TRAVIS L WILLIAMS 2018 BOYS STATE CANIDATE
BIO LARRY C. ROSS II
PARENTS: Larry & Julia Ross, Sr.
HIGH SCHOOL: WESTVIEW HIGH SCHOOL (AVONDALE, AZ)
CAREER GOALS: STEM or BUSINESS FIELD
- Honor Roll Student
- Pilgrim Rest Missionary Baptist Church member
- Westview Student Athlete Leadership Academy member
- Omega Youth Leadership Academy Scholar-Mentee
- Varsity baseball (Sophomore, Junior)
- Varsity baseball Team Captain
- Feed The Children Volunteer
- AZ Wildfire Elite Club Travel Baseball Team
- West Coast Educational Excursion College Tours
- HEALL Foundation Black & Brown Bully Youth Panelist
- First Institutional Church Feed the Homeless Volunteer
Great great nephew of Robert G. Clark, the first black elected to the Mississippi House of Representatives post reconstruction
Boys State has been a program of The American Legion since 1935 when it organized to counter the Fascist inspired Young Pioneer Camps. The program was the idea of two Illinois Legionnaires, Hayes Kennedy and Harold Card, who organized the first Boys State at the Illinois State Fairgrounds in Springfield.
At American Legion Boys State, participants are exposed to the rights and privileges, the duties and the responsibilities of a franchised citizen. The training is objective and practical with city, county and state governments operated by the students elected to the various offices. Activities include legislative sessions, court proceedings, law enforcement presentations, assemblies, bands, chorus and recreational programs.
High school juniors are selected by local American Legion Posts to attend the program. In most cases, expenses associated with attending this program are paid by a sponsoring American Legion Post, a local business or another community-based organization.
American Legion Boys State is currently conducted in 49 Departments of The American Legion. Hawaii does not conduct a program. As separate corporations, Boys States vary in content and method of procedure, but each and every Boys State adheres to the basic concept of the program - that of teaching government from the township to the state level.
TRAVIL L WILLIAMS 2018 BOYS STATE CANIDATE
Copyright 1996-2006 The American Legion - All Rights Reserved -